Movies and TV Shows

Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude
Total Posts:  10
Joined  28-06-2015

15 July 2015 10:59

For the recommendation and discussion of our favourite visual stories, both new and old.

The most recent movie I went and saw was Mad Max: Fury Road, and I have to say, it was amazing. Although I’m not going to forgive them for having the steering wheel on the wrong side and the speedo measuring in miles, but that’s Hollywood for you.

For a movie with such little dialogue, it told a story full of detail and intricacies that really draw you in incredibly well. Also, absolutely brilliant action scenes involving a battle reminiscent of old tall-ship entanglements on the backs of ludicrously designed but nonetheless really made car rigs driving continuously through the middle of the (so totally not) Australian desert. It’s shock and awe and characters all at once, and it pulls it off perfectly. I adored every minute of it.

So what have you all been watching lately?

Rocket
Total Posts:  48
Joined  08-06-2015

15 July 2015 17:06

Oh my lord I just finished True Detective series 1. Matthew M. has come very far. And is looking farr hotter than he did when he was in rom-coms.

xero
Total Posts:  11
Joined  09-01-2015

15 July 2015 19:14

Rocket - 15 July 2015 05:06 PM

Oh my lord I just finished True Detective series 1. Matthew M. has come very far. And is looking farr hotter than he did when he was in rom-coms.

Season 1 is great. Season 2, not so much, but it is getting better.

Lauren
Total Posts:  19
Joined  10-04-2015

16 July 2015 10:54

I’ve just finished the first season of Daredevil - which personally I loved as a Marvel fan and thought it was a really good modern day adaptation and a million times better than the Ben Affleck nightmare a few years ago. Professionally though I thought could do with a bit of work on the cliches, some stronger females and a better budget. Hoping they’ll get a second series commissioned which should solve both problems - I mean, he only got the suit in the last episode….

xero
Total Posts:  11
Joined  09-01-2015

16 July 2015 11:07

Hmmm. I’ll have to agree to disagree with you on that one. I watched the first 2 or 3 episodes and then gave up . Found it a bit cheap and cheesy.

Never saw the Ben Affleck movie, interesting that’s he’s now Batman - there’s a trivia question in there somewhere, how many actors have played more than one superhero?

Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude
Total Posts:  10
Joined  28-06-2015

16 July 2015 11:55

Ah Daredevil, yet another example of Netflix being great at producing content as well as hosting it. I was hooked by the second episode, mostly because of the amazing fight choreography. That scene of Matt fighting his way through the corridor to get to the kid, you can feel how exhausted he is just by watching it. Every battle is gorgeously done, and while none of them are elegant, per se, they have a kind of beauty to them that’s undeniable. You’ll have to disagree with me too, Xero, I utterly enjoyed the whole season.

I’ll agree it is fairly cliched at points, and they need to work on certain things, but ultimately it’s a very entertaining and engaging adaption of the comic.

That said, for all the hype and wait for Matt to actually get the iconic Daredevil costume, I think the all black clothes and black bandanna actually suited him better. The costume feels to kitschy for the angle they’ve taken with the genre.

DaughterofYassen

DaughterofYassen
Total Posts:  13
Joined  19-03-2016

19 March 2016 19:37

So my biggest TV Show obsession is “Limitless” on CBS. Has anyone else on here seen it?

I know some of you guys are diehard Sherlock and Horowitz fans, so you might not like it. It’s a lighter take on detective work etc. But if you like funny it’s HILARIOUS.